Pulwama Attack


Personnel killed[1][17][18][19][20]
State Number
Uttar Pradesh 12
Rajasthan 5
Punjab 4
Odisha 2
Uttarkhand 2
Bihar 2
Maharashtra 2
West Bengal 2
Tamil Nadu 2
Assam 1
Karnataka 1
Jammu and Kashmir 1
Himachal Pradesh 1
Kerala 1
Jharkhand 1
Madhya Pradesh 1
Total 40

On 14 February 2019, a convoy of 78 vehicles transporting more than 2,500 Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF)[a] personnel from Jammu to Srinagar was travelling on National Highway 44. The convoy had left Jammu around 03:30 IST and was carrying a large number of personnel due to the highway having been shut down for two days prior. The convoy was scheduled to reach its destination before sunset.[2]

At Lethpora near Awantipora, around 15:15 IST,[22] a bus carrying security personnel was rammed by a car carrying explosives. It caused a blast which killed 40 CRPF personnel of the 76th Battalion and injured many others. The injured were moved to the army base hospital in Srinagar.[1]

Pakistan-based militant group Jaish-e-Mohammed claimed responsibility for the attack. They also released a video of the assailant Adil Ahmad Dar, a 22-year old from Kakapora who had joined the group a year earlier.[23][2][24] Dar’s family had last seen him in March 2018, when he left his house on a bicycle one day and never returned.[25] Pakistan denied any involvement, though Jaish-e-Mohammed’s leader, Masood Azhar, is known to operate in the country.[26][27]

It is the deadliest terror attack on India’s state security personnel in Kashmir since 1989.[22]


The perpetrator was identified as Adil Ahmad Dar (alias Adil Ahmad Gaadi Takranewala or Waqas Commando), a 22-year old from Kakapora.[23]According to Dar’s parents, Dar became radicalized after he was beated by Indian police.[28][29] Between September 2016 and March 2018, Adil Dar was reported arrested six times by Indian authorities.[30][31] However, each time he was released without any charges.[30]


The National Investigation Agency dispatched a 12-member team to probe the attack, working with the Jammu and Kashmir Police.[1][2]

Initial investigations suggested the car was carrying more than 300 kilograms (660 lb) of explosives,[2] including 80 kilograms (180 lb) of RDX, a high explosive,[32] and ammonium nitrate.[33] Lt Gen Hooda said that the explosives might have been stolen from a construction site. He initially said that it was not possible that they were smuggled from across the border, but later said that he could not rule it out.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.